YouTube said on Wednesday it would start removing content that falsely alleges that widespread voter fraud changed the result of the US election.
The update applies to all new content, including videos from President Donald Trump.
The company had previously reported potentially misleading election videos and added links to accurate information.
YouTube said that “enough countries have tested their election results to determine the president-elect.”
Democrats criticized YouTube’s efforts for insufficient reporting of fake news and conspiracy theories on the platform.
Unsubstantiated claims by Trump and leading Republicans that the election was “rigged” have been repeated.
Trump’s lawyers have failed to provide evidence of this.
The announcement comes after a “safe harbour” deadline. Which sets a date by which states need to certify the results of the presidential election.
“Yesterday was the safe harbour deadline for the US Presidential election and enough states have certified their election results to determine a President-elect,” said YouTube.
youtube also said that the move was in line with its historical approach to US presidential elections.
Examples it cited of videos it would now remove were uploads claiming that a presidential candidate won the election due to widespread software glitches or counting errors.
YouTube said that it has taken down 8,000 channels since September, for uploading “harmful and misleading election-related videos for violating our existing policies”.
The latest move will anger President Trump and many Republicans, many of whom already believe Big Tech is biased against conservatives.
The focus now moves to Twitter and Facebook as to whether they will follow YouTube’s lead.
Source of News: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55255121